- Synopsis: When murder is no accident, revenge is no crime. A deadly battle of wits and wills between a vigilante and a killer is about to move into overdrive — and caught in their headlights is a tormented beauty who unwittingly holds the key to the ultimate showdown. When his wife is killed by a maniac, Rennie Cray, played by Jim Caviezel ("The Passion of the Christ," "Frequency"), takes to the road in his classic Plymouth Barracuda muscle car to find her murderer — James Fargo, played by Colm Feore ("Chicago," "Pearl Harbor"), a merciless, wheelchair-bound serial killer.
- Starring: James Caviezel, Rhona Mitra
- Supporting actors: Frankie Faison, Colm Feore, Gordon Currie, Andrea Roth, Noam Jenkins, Toby Proctor, James Kee, Guylaine St-Onge, Joe Pingue, Martin Roach, Ron Bell, Paul Rutledge, Kelly Jones, Bryan Renfro, Jason McCormack, Paul Mota, Michael Stevens
- Directed by: Robert Harmon
- Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
- Runtime: 1 hour 21 minutes
- Captions and Subtitles:
- Release year: 2004
- Studio: Warner Bros.
- MPAA Rating: Rated R for violence, some gore and brief language
- ASIN: B0031NKK6W (Rental) and B0031NH4FC (Purchase)
Highwaymen is a fun entertaining movie!
A great thriller
Well . . .
Has anyone noticed that an actor who played Jesus (Jim Caviezel, *PASSION OF THE CHRIST*) and an actor who played the antichrist (Gordon Curry, *LEFT BEHIND SERIES*) were in this movie together?
Breakneck pacing keeps this study of revenge alive
The film opens somewhere on the plains of America where a beautiful woman is buying fruit from a lonely roadside vendor: her husband Rennie (Jim Caviezel) watches her with adoring eyes from a lonely motel balcony. But out of the dust of the highway appears a one headlight dirty 1972 Cadillac El Dorado and in seconds Rennie’s wife lies dead in the street.
Flash forward 5 years and Rennie has given up his life as a doctor, has apparently been hunting down his wife’s murderer, discovering that the murderer is a bizarre serial killer named Fargo (Colm Feore), a psychopath who is addicted to killing young women by hit and run and suffers the loss of limbs now replaced with robotic extensions.
Rennie knows the MO of Fargo and when another woman becomes a victim of the serial killer, Rennie follows the investigation with a Traffic inspector (Frankie Faison): there were two women in the destroyed car – Alex (Andrea Roth) who is killed and Molly (Rhona Mitra) who survives. Rennie’s drive for revenge creates a bond with Molly and between the two of them the wild car chases and ballistics pummel to the terrifying end of the film.
No, the story is not unique, but it has enough of a twist on a plot line to keep suspense afloat. The photography is on target and the music of Mark Isham (as usual) enhances the tension. A good movie, not a great movie, but one that is fairly well polished in the terror genre. Grady Harp October 2004
HOLD ON TO YOUR SEATS
Jim Caviezel (Passion of the Christ, Frequency, High Crimes) proves he is a versatile actor in the role of Renny, a young doctor who saw his wife get killed and in an act of fury and revenge, crippled the hit and run driver. However, this is not a one shot thing—-the guy’s been doing it for years, and now five years later, he is still at it. Only this time, he manages to kill one girl but leaves another one alive—and he just has to get rid of her. He has also been tormenting Caviezel for years, sending him news clippings, letters, etc.
Rhona Mitra (Beowulf) co-stars as Molly, the hit and runner’s latest attempt. She has a fear of driving, as her mother and father were killed in an auto accident, leaving her not only an orphan but a woman terrified of driving. Her performance matches Caviezel’s in its quiet intensity. Reliable actor Colm Feore (Storm of the Century) plays the psycho, whose restructured body, and accommodating driving tools, lends him a terrifying presence.
The movie is well photographed and Mark Isham’s score is appropriately haunting.
A very well done, missed gem.
Bestselling Nutrition & Wellness Products on Amazon
Benecol Smart Chews, Caramel, 120-Count Soft Chews
Benecol® Smart Chews ~ Proven to Reduce CholesterolTake twice a day to Reduce CholesterolFeel in control with Benecol® Smart Chews, a delicious and convenient way to lower c... read more →
Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men Multivitamins, 180-Count
Opti-Men is a complete Nutrient Optimization System, providing the ultimate in performance supplementation. With more than 75 distinct ingredients, Opti-Men lays a solid found... read more →
KIND Nuts & Spices, Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt, 12-Count Bars
Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt is a sweet and salty blend of almonds, peanuts, and walnuts drizzled in chocolate with a touch of sea salt. KIND Nuts & Spices is a line of bar... read more →